Are you avoiding mirrors recently? Do you Lackluster skin? You got depressed with your dull skin and look tired? If yes, this article is meant to answer the reason why your skin is so dry even after using different moisturizers, and also to let you know if you should stop using moisturisers.
Here are the reasons and causes of dry skin:
Dehydration one of the major reasons why your skin might still feel dry after using moisturizer. When you drink the adequate amount of water daily, it is very important for your overall health such as helping in maintaining the balance of body and skin fluids, helps in controlling calories, it also energizes the muscles, and help to improve the function of the kidney. Skin is made up of cells that are filled up with water. Therefore, if you drink less water, there will a reduction in blood flow to your skin which will result in dry/pale looking skin. Dry skin and dehydrated skin are two (2) different things which are simply described in the picture below:
Therefore, it is recommended to drink at least eight glasses of water per day, also Eat vegetables and fruits that have high percentage of water content and fibers.
Dry, dead skin cell is build upon the surface of your skin if you don’t exfoliate your skin. It is very important to remove the thin and dead skin layer away from your skin so as to get a smoother, glowing and much more radiant skin you had ever wish for. To exfoliate, there are several means you can use including using honey, using Aloe Vera or Using walnut.
As earlier mentioned, dryness and dehydration mostly lead to the dullness of the skin. Therefore, you should make sure that you apply a moisturiser every time you clean your face. Moisturizers always fill in gaps in the skin, by adding some lipids and natural fat to the skin. To moisturise, you have to do it the right way, by first wash, your face, apply your moisturizing cream, and massage upward direction in your face to allow blood circulation and stimulate the cells in your face.
Note: Moisturise immediately after you shower because water evaporates off your skin very quickly, this can leave your skin feeling even drier.
As you know, what you take in is what you give out. If you Lack certain vitamins and minerals in your diet play a very important role in your skin. Vitamins such as vitamin A, C, Omega 3, are very good for a healthy skin. So, try to eat enough of blueberries, strawberries, cherry tomatoes, walnuts, salmon, sardines, and spinach etc. they are all rich in vitamins healthy for your skin.
You know that it is all about choice! If Smoking is your choice that means lackluster skin is also your choice too.
Smoking affects body’s organs, as well as causing wrinkles to your skin. It prevents oxygenated blood from your skin because of the toxic substances in it, and thereby deprived your skin of both oxygen and nutrients needed. Therefore, your skin gets drier.
Other causes are Stress, Not getting enough Sleep.
No skincare routine is perfect unless it gives importance to moisturizing technique. Regardless of your type of skin, you need to use the most suitable moisturiser either cream or lotion for your skin because it will help to keep your skin looking more radiant and glowing throughout the day. Moisturizing plays a vital role for healthy skin and help keep your skin with Elasticity and also makes it looks younger. It helps to balance the ratio of oil and water in your skin.
▪ It helps hold water in the outermost layer of your skin which also act as a temporary barrier for your skin.
▪ It protects the outer layer of your skin from harmful effects of the sun, wind and other environmental factors.
▪ It helps prevent and also treat dry skin.
▪ Moisturiser protects sensitive skin, also improve skin, texture, and mask imperfections.
▪ always use moisturizers immediately you dry your skin after taking a bath. When the skin is still moist, moisturizer will be able to penetrate into your skin surface properly.
▪ After you have clean your face with the appropriate cleanser for your skin type, you must immediately apply most suitable moisturizer for your skin. If you leave it for too long before moisturizing your face, the moisture can evaporate, causing your skin to dry.
▪ Moisturiser can be applied as a protective base for your make-up. A light consistency moisturizer allows your makeup to stay for a longer period.
▪ Moisturiser can also be applied to your hands every time you wash them.
There are many types of moisturizers available in the market, but not all products are suitable for your skin. It is very important to find out the best moisturizer for your skin type, this depends on many factors such as skin type, your age and if you are suffering from any specific skin conditions like acne, pimple, and eczema and so on. To choose the perfect moisturizer for your skin care steps, You should consider the following guidelines:
Oily skin: This skin type is prone to acne, the most suitable moisturizer for oily skin is using a light moisturizer, immediately after using skin care products which can remove oil and dry out your skin.
Dry skin: For dry skin type, you must choose a moisturizer which can help you restore your moisture to the skin. Using an oil-based moisturizer will be most appropriate for oily skin type; it contains moisturizing ingredients and petrolatum-based products which will keep your skin dry patches hydrated.
Normal skin: This type of skin is neither too dry nor too oily. To maintain normal skin type, the natural moisture balance of the skin must be maintained; it is therefore recommended to use a water-based moisturizer which has light and non-greasy feeling.
Sensitive skin: moisturizers containing soothing ingredients such as chamomile or aloe vera are most recommended for sensitive skin type. Note that the product must not contain any fragrances or dyes or acids in the ingredient.
Read Also: Best home remedies skincare for oily skin
Mature skin: As you get older, your skin tends to become drier because the oil-producing glands become less active. In order to keep your skin soft, tender and well hydrated, an oil-based moisturizer is recommended for you. It contains petrolatum as the base and antioxidant to help combat age-related skin problems such as wrinkles, fine lines, age spots etc.
▪ If the moisturizer you are using doesn’t improve the condition of your skin or you notice any skin problems after using a particular moisturizer, Please go see your doctor or dermatologist immediately.
▪ Check the ingredients of your moisturizer, as some products may contain some harsh ingredients which cause harm to your skin, such products must be avoided at any cost.
▪ it is very important to use a moisturizer which contains a sunscreen of SPF 15 or higher to help protect your skin from sun damage.
▪ it is advisable to experiment several products so as to find a moisturizer that fits for your skin type and also makes your skin glow.
▪ Always hydrate your skin by drinking enough water daily.
Lastly, all skin types are prone to skin dryness, but with appropriate and effective moisturiser, your skin will glow always.
Please share your comment or observations if you have tried any type of moisturiser and your experience.